I still have more than a month before I start. 37 days to be exact.
1. I wanted to finish down south. I live near the Smokies, Carvers gap is a place I’ve visited multiple of times and it would feel like I’m finishing near home.
2. Try to avoid a huge bubble. I still want to meet a lot of people, but don’t want to feel to overcrowded at shelters.
3. My husband will be able to meet me more down south. My thinking process of this was Ill have good moral boost near the end.
4. It’s better for the environment.
5. I’ve never been on the AT pass Roan Mountain. So I’ll get to see the North in spring and summer time!! I can’t wait to swim in the lakes up north!!
Waiting for my start date!
I’ve been watching a lot of people start their journey, and also some people quit their journey. As I try to stay present in the now, I can’t wait until I get in my car and drive up to Harpers Ferry! But I know it will be here pretty fast.
Still working is making time go by, and pet sitting also. I have less than a month at work!!! And two more times I’ll be house sitting. Once it’s my last day at work there will only be one more week left until I start!
I’ve been doing a lot of hiking and trail running to keep me busy and stay in shape. I do have a problem with going down gear rabbit holes. Switching out gear, thinking “hmm this is better than the one I have, if I buy it now it will be here by the time I leave.” It’s a horrible cycle lol!
That rabbit hole is real! I’ve switched my sea to summit 1.11 lb to a Nemo tensor pad that’s 15 oz. My Nemo sleeping bag that was 3.9 lb is now a Hyke and byke 2.8 lb still synthetic bag. Let’s see, oh I switched my Fanny pack to a chicken tramper, and I also bought the shoulder strap pocket. And now I’m thinking about getting the App co gear alpaca fleece, when I have a perfectly good fleece! But… if I order it now it will be here by the time I leave.. 🤪
So you see my dilemma! I just need to stop looking at gear. I now do have everything I need, I think, and just will be patiently waiting for April to get here! Best of luck to all of class 2023!!!
Here are some picks with all my gear and the clothes I’ll be wearing for 6 months!
Ill be posting reels and pictures on Instagram also!
This website contains affiliate links, which means The Trek may receive a percentage of any product or service you purchase using the links in the articles or advertisements. The buyer pays the same price as they would otherwise, and your purchase helps to support The Trek’s ongoing goal to serve you quality backpacking advice and information. Thanks for your support!
To learn more, please visit the About This Site page.